With the generous permission of the author, the following has been transcribed from Barbara Smith Buys, Old Gravestones of Putnam County, New York : Together with information from ten adjacent Dutchess County burying grounds (Baltimore : Gateway Press c1975). This material is under copyright. No part may be reproduced, in whole or in part, in any form, without the specific written permission of the author.

Mrs. Buys notes that only stones of people born before and through the calendar year of 1850 were transcribed, and "that numerous plain fieldstone markers and unmarked, but evident, graves, were found", in addition to those listed.


Follow the directions to the Benjamin Plot [Town of East Fishkill listing] and continue to follow the old roadbed 200 ft. further south. Turn left (southeast) along a stone wall which runs at the base of a rocky bluff for about 700 ft. Here you will find the stone listed below and several fieldstone markers.

1. COON, John, d. April 9, 1830 in 71st yr.

Transcribed by Susan Brehm

Back to Dutchess Co. Genealogy